Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pumpkin Patch

Well, I have a few posts in the works about stuff that's happened this summer, but blogger is giving me fits (and I'm not the only one) where images don't show up in the compose screen if you've saved it and have come back at a later date.  They're there--you can 'see' them in the html screen and the preview screen, but that's it.  So you'll get those posts. . .someday. Or I'll switch to wordpress.  Take THAT blogger.

Anyway. . .

We had the chance to go to a pumpkin patch play area with the play group Martin's a part of.  His playgroup is awesome--mostly because it's done through the Early Intervention group in our area, so the kids in there aren't expected to act like other kids their age.  Which is good, because none of them are like other kids their age.  It's a good setting to teach them how to act around other kids.  And it's really helped Martin on th eating front, because he sees other kids his age eating.


This pumpkin patch was awesome.  Partly because it was FREE, unless we wanted a pumpkin.  We didn't.  They had a little petting area, with pigs, and donkey's, and lambs, and some random birds that looked like mini ostriches.  I don't think that's what they were.


Both kids got right up there and were petting the animals.  Well, the ones that would let them.


Martin just has to do everything that Katryn does.


They had this little corn maze with haybales the kids loves running through.  Katryn loved hiding from me.


All the kids were climbing on a haybale pyramid, so of course Martin had to climb up there too.  This is one of the group leaders, helping Martin out.


And they had this giant corn box!  Like a sand box, only...CORN.  So Katryn made a corn angel.  Hey, if this winter is anything like last winter, it'll be the only angel she makes.


Martin kind of sat there, not sure what to think of the corn.  It was a little too bizarre for him I think.


And they had another, smaller hay bale maze.  Where the parents could SEE the kids the whole time. Tryn LOVED that one.  she ran all over it.


Martin kept running to a little 'window' where I was standing and cheesing it up for me and the camera.  Mostly the camera.


See those white pumpkins?  I ruined Katryn's dream of bringing one home.  She calls them ghost pumpkins, and she wanted one SO. BAD.

She still talks about them.


And we got to go on a wagon ride!  It was a short little jaunt around the farm area, where we saw some cows, the pumpkin patch, and old corn fields.  I was sitting next to Martin, and almost fell off the back when the tractor jerked forward.  That was fun.


Overall, we sure enjoyed ourselves!  We didn't get a chance to go to pumpkin picking as a family like we did last year, but this was fun.  And not as cold as I anticipated.  Although finding corn kernels in the laundry?  Not so fun.

3 comments:

  1. Ghost pumpkins, I am going to have to remember that one! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should try growing your own ghost pumpkins. My neighbor had one, Michelle also called it a ghost pumpkin, sounds official enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the corn box idea. I might have to get one of those for my kids one day. Sounds like it would be easier to clean (maybe until the bugs get to it or they start to rot... maybe not such a good idea).

    ReplyDelete