Sunday, August 26, 2012

What I've been Reading

Saw this idea on a friend's blog the other day, and thought I'd give it a whirl.  I've been spending some time reading lately, and here's a bit of what I've gone through.  Bear in mind, I read pretty much purely to be entertained--I love books that I can get caught up into, and feel like the characters are real people.


And on THAT note. . . .

Fablehaven (book 1) by Brandon Mull

This was a quick, easy read.  I liked that.  It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't horrible.  It was enjoyable, and I'll continue the series as I get the books.  I gave it 3 stars.  It's a book I would be willing to read to my kids (in a few years).



Where We Belong by Emily Giffin.

I love her books, and this one was no exception.  One of my favorite aspects of her books is pulling in the main character from a book as a minor character in another.  You would only know if you had read said book.  4 stars here.

The Death Cure by James Dashner

I'm so glad this series is done.  While I enjoyed it, it dragged on too long.  How many trials can this kids end up in??  And then all of a sudden, the book is over and everything is happy.  Wait, what? Very abrupt ending.  3 stars on this one.


The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I'm still undecided about this one.  I didn't hate it, didn't love it either.  The characters were real though, and I appreciated that.  I could really feel for them.  The subject matter was interesting, and I didn't care much for the slightly cliche ending.  3 stars.


Coming up:


The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

I picked this book for my book group this month.  I haven't read it, but my source *cough*Ashley*cough* says it's very good, and I think my book group will like it.  I hate picking books for a large group of diverse people.  The last book I picked was Marley and Me (which is one of my top books) and I don't think the group cared for it very much.

EDIT: So that was the wrong book.  I actually picked THIS book for book group.  Thanks Ashley! Dog Stars is in my TBR pile, just not right now.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

This is the REAL book for bookgroup.


City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

All I can say is this better end better than the last book.  I wanted to throw it against the wall when I finished it.  I really love this series, but I'm also really ready for it to be done.  Simon rocks though.


Rapture by Lauren Kate

The teenage angst in me loves this series way too much.  I can't wait to see how this series is wrapped up.



Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

I love a good feel-good novel, and this one should be perfect.


Shadows In Flight by Orson Scott Card

I can't believe I didn't know this book existed until a few days ago.  I really am just shocked.  I'm a huge fan of the Ender series--both lines.  This is the Shadow line, following the character Bean.  AND Card is writing another one after this one!

To Ride A Pegasus by Anne McCaffrey

A friend recommended this to me.  We'll see how I like it.  There's a whole series.

PS-Are you on Goodreads?  Add me as a friend!

5 comments:

  1. Wait, I thought you were going to read The Fault In Our Stars for book club? That's the one I was talking about, not The Dog Stars. I hope TDS is good, though!

    I really liked Lock & Key--it was the first Dessen I read and quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're right. We ARE reading The Fault In Our Stars (if the books ever show up--almost 2 weeks waiting for them!)

      Blame that mistake on a blog post constantly interrupted by little kids! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome. I love reading your book lists on Goodreads - this is even better :).

    I was really disappointed with the conclusion of the Death Cure - there just wasn't enough explained at the end. Part of me is wondering if the newest one, The Kill Order, will have those details, but I just don't know if I can be disappointed again.

    I am not sure where I stand with Emily Griffin's books. I love the story lines and characters, but at the same time I don't... it's weird. But I'm going to give Where we belong a try.

    I'm excited to try The Mortal Instruments series and Rapture! They look really interesting - and I love me some teen angst.

    And just fyi the other reason it took me so long to finish Peace Like a River was because it isn't an entertainment story. In my mind it is worth reading totally, but even having read it before it would take me awhile to get through it again, simply because the story is more dense.

    I love that I have a new list to take to the library with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT. The Kill Order?! I so thought the series was done. . .

      Delete
  3. The Fault in our Stars is Josie's favorite book (Nancy and Patrick's younger sister).

    Nice to see you and the kids at Nancy's baby shower--thanks for coming!

    ReplyDelete