Friday, December 16, 2011

Santa Run

Well I did it.  I ran a 5k and I didn't die.  I also completely stopped doing my workout plan.  Who was I kidding that I would wake up early and run 3 times a week AND work out 5 times a week?!  After doing not much for the past, oh well, um forever?  I pushed through the first few weeks, and then it got cold.  And dark.  and I thought I was going to get hit by a car running in the dark.  So I stopped.  'Nuff said.  Although Heather and Amber kindly bestowed out of their totes of running clothes (notice the plural usage, they have more than one!) some brightly colored clothes for me, so I don't die.


But I still did this 5k with two of my sisters.  Heather did a really nice recap of it, so I won't bother with the whole thing.  You can read it all there.  It really made a huge difference to have someone else to run with.  I also use the term 'run' loosely.  I think my running pace is just as fast as my walking pace. . .It's ok, I'm getting there.

 Katryn stole my santa hat, so I had to improvise with a hat from my parents Christmas decorations.  It fit a lot better!


 I was pretty nervous.  I mean, a 5k is long!  Especially when the longest I've ran is 3 minutes.  Yes, you read that right.  three whole minutes.  Then I walked for 3 minutes.  Ran again, rinse, repeat. . .That was my prerace jitter face.


 The aid stations had milk and cookies! so Santa-Tryn got hooked up!


 And there we are, in the crowd of santas taking off from the starting line.  I bet it was pretty cool to be a spectator and see all those santa's running by.


 We ran the whole first lap (just over a mile). The first mile in 11 minutes.  WOW.  For a girl who's only ran 3 minutes at a time.  I was pretty proud of myself.

And slightly worried about dying still.  My lungs are NOT up to par.  Or anywhere close to par.  For the record, I don't know how Heather and Amber can talk while running.  I'm using all my lung power to keep from passing out (or puking, both of which I thought might happen).  They would ask me questions and I would gasp out 1 word answers.


 We walked 1/2 of the next lap, ran a bit, and walked a bit more, and then ran the entire last lap.  Over all, I ran WAY more than I walked!  I know, when I don't wear the Santa beard, it looks like I have chest hair.  I'm ok with that, I was struggling enough to breathe as it was.


And the Grinch came and freaked Katryn out.  He was a very lifelike Grinch, so I can understand that. (That's Amber's boyfriend holding her, since Matt was holding Martin)

Time/pace breakdown and mile splits:
Total Time-41:54
Average Pace-13:02/mile
Mile 1-11:20/mile (all running)
Mile 2-14:24/mile (half walking/half running)
Mile 3-13:19 (mostly running)
Mile 0.22 (yes the course measured long with Heather's Garmin)-13:09/mile pace (time-2:49)
227th woman across the line (out of 294)
45th in my age group (out of 55, ages 25-29)

Thanks to Amber and Heather for running with me!!  and letting me slow you done (both of them probably would have been in the top 3 of their age group, or even overall, if they hadn't ran with me!)


1 comment:

  1. That looks so fun and motivating as well! And awesome about Matt's raise and the surprise presents!!!

    ReplyDelete