Saturday, February 13, 2010

My new Home

I have a new home, for hopefully at least 62 more days. The hospital. Yup, it happened! and they're not letting me go anyway. Here's the story, and as an FYI, like all things involving pregnancy and the 'perks' of pregnancy, there may be some details that you as a reader will think "wow, I really didn't want to know that. . ." since I will be mentioning the area the baby is growing, and where the baby will be coming out of, but this is for my records anyway, since I don't have a journal here with me to write it down.

You have been fairly warned. :)

the last thursday in January, I thought my water had started leaking, but after a little while, determined that it was just my SCH bleeding AGAIN. so I disregarded it. actually I called the midwife on call and she told me it was probably just extra discharge, because being pregnant does funny things like that to you. But the reason I determined it was my SCH was because it was the color of old blood, and the Peri had told me I had a lot of old blood hanging around. And I passed a clot, which I assumed was my SCH, so I was actually pretty excited. Except I kept leaking for a week. Finally I decided that I really AM leaking fluid that I shouldn't be leaking and called my midwives to set up an appointment.

They got me in right away and Abby checked me out. I like when she's the midwife I see, because she delivered Katryn and was so helpful it letting me have the natural birth I wanted. anyway, I explained to her what had been happening for the past week, she measured my belly, which was right on, listened to the heartbeat, which was perfect and checked my cervix, which was completely closed still (thank heavens!) She also took a few tests that can determine if it is amniotic fluid leaking out. Another one of the tests checks to see if you're going to go into labor in the next two weeks. That test checks for the presence of the 'glue' keeping the placenta attached. The first test was positive, but I never found out the results of the second test.

She also sent me in for an ultrasound, where they checked the fluid level, and measured a few other things, like the tummy, brain, and an arm or leg, just to see how things were growing. After I get back to the room, Matt showed up. He had dropped me off, and then went and dropped the dogs and Katryn off at my parents. I'm so glad he made it when he did!

Abby came back with the head OB. a lot of what he said did go over my head, but I have been doing enough research because of all my complications that I knew what was going to happen. He told me that what we had was a VERY serious problem. I was one day shy of 24 weeks and I had basically no amniotic fluid left.

24 weeks is a very important landmark in pregnancy. That's considered viability, the point at which doctors will activity try to save your baby if you deliver. Before then, there really isn't much they can do. Even at 24 weeks there's not a lot they can do, but they work a lot harder.

The doctor said some more things, but the gist of it was "You are now our patient, and you need to go straight to labor and delivery".

and we walked out the door. It was about this point that I lost it. This pregnancy has been such a trial for me, and it seems like every other day there's some other concern about the baby. I just want a healthy pregnancy, like I had with Katryn. Starts with me thinking I'm miscarrying when I started spotting at like 7 weeks, to the first gush of blood at 10 weeks and going to the ER, to being diagnosed with a probable miscarriage coming, then the SCH, and spontaneously gushing blood and the most akward times, just to rush to the doctors and hear that reasurring heartbeat. To be told I was most likely pregnant with twins, but for some reason one didn't develop, that the baby's cord is probably implanted in the wrong spot and the baby isn't getting a lot of nutrients and will be a small baby, that there might be genetic defeats, and now that this baby might be coming anyday and come have very serious long term problems from being born too early. It was just too much to take, I had finally reached my emotional limit. Everything had been out of my hands the entire time. I knew that, and that's what made it even harder. There was nothing I could have done about any of it anyway!!

We stopped by my parents house before going to the hospital where my dad and matt gave me a blessing of comfort. It was much needed, and calmed me down. I didn't have the fear that had been so prevalent. I was and still am concerned about everything, but not scared. Which was good considering what was going to come.

We headed to the hospital, where they quickly checked me in and had me change into a gown. of course, right then I had a little leak which made everyone jump into action. I was given an IV with fluids, started on magnesium sulfate and given a steroid shot in my butt. yeah, I felt like I was a little kid again. The mag is supposed to stop labor (which I wasn't having) as well as help the baby's brain develop. The steroid shot helps the baby's lungs develop. They also started antibiotics to make sure neither me OR the baby would get an infection. Once the water breaks, the risk of infection gets higher. And they wanted to make sure that in case it was an infection that CAUSED the water the break they took care of it. They hooked up the heart monitor for the baby, and the contraction monitor for me on my belly. They also gave me a blood pressure cuff that checked my B/P about every 5-10 minutes, a pulse monitor on my finger, and leg cuffs that inflate and deflate so I don't get clots in my legs. They wouldn't let me leave the bed for anything. I mean ANYTHING. I had to call the nurse when I needed to use the bathroom, and she helped me get into a bedpan. Yeah, once you're pregnant at the hospital, modesty kind of goes out the window. . . .

The OB on call for my doctors office came and talked with me a for little. mostly told me the same thing the OB at the office told me, but told me the statistics. Statistics have never been on my side, so I didn't really want to hear them. Once the water breaks, 30% of people deliver within 24 hours, 30% within 2 weeks, and everyone else goes indefinitely. I was still in that 2 week period. He also explained that if they had to do an emergency c-section, it would be different than your standard c-section. They have to cut the opposite way, and I would ALWAYS have to have c-section for other pregnancies. He then told me though, that the hospital I was at is not equipped to handle a 24-weeker, and if I did have the baby, they would stabilize him, and life-flight him to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake. And then they let me be for a while.

matt left for the night, went to his parents to put Katryn to bed and they gave me a sleeping pill. They still come to check on me every few hours, plus with the IV I was on, I needed the nurse to help me with a bedpan all the time too. And I was still leaking fluid. It was a LONG day, and LONG night. But the sleeping pill worked!

And that was Thursday, Feb 4th. Friday will come later.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like no fun. BUT at least things seem to be going alright...

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Krystal. Hang in there. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep going! One week down! :) Just take it a little at a time. Let us know of anything you might need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a strong person Krystal and are handling this very well. Like Heather said just take it a little at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Krystal. What a trial. I hope that you are doing well when you get this, and hanging in there. There are many people praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOLY COW!!! I am so sorry that things are such a roller coaster ride! You WILL make it though it all and be a better person in the end because of this trial!

    ReplyDelete