Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gingerbread houses and a Pirate

I know, they have nothing to do with each other, except that I haven't blogged about halloween yet, and I needed to take pictures of our gingerbread house we made on sunday before it got eaten. They don't last long around here.


It's a family tradition on matt's side to make gingerbread houses at Christmas time. I remember when we were dating (quick side story--8 years ago TODAY, December 15, 2001 was our senior dinner dance, and that was when matt and I 'offically' started dating. can't believe we've been together that long already!!) and we made these house for the first time. It was awesome!! I don't think I've ever seen so much candy in one room.

Matt's mother makes the gingerbread, cuts it all out in house shapes and his dad builds them. It's quite the process. They also go ALL OUT on the candy to decorate these things. As in candy spilling over the counter tops, dozens of bulk food bags full of candy.

Needless to say, Katryn had enough candy to last her until next year. She wouldn't even eat the chili, which she LOVES!!

Part of their tradition is to also give the house they make away to another family, usually a family perhaps in more need this time of year, or one that has a lot of kids that would just get a kick out of having an awesome house.

So the point is really to just put AS MUCH candy on as possible, because that's just more you get to eat later, right?

And if you're matt's brother, you create something so amazing that our little houses are put to shame! This year he created a chapel. It was pretty awesome. Hopefully they'll put pictures up.

and now we can officially eat this house, since I have taken the time to record the memories. :)

This was our pirate on halloween. She was so darn cute! Cutest pirate ever! and she'd go around saying "arr!!!"

Here's all the grandkids on the B side of the family, with grandma at our halloween party. In case you can't tell, we've got a football player, a pirate, a wizard, an indian holding a bat, and a witch.

and here's half the cousins on the W side of the family. That camo thing is a volcano. Pretty impressive I've got to say! Then we've got a flower, pirate-Tryn, and a biking ladybug.

We went trick-or-treating in my parents neighborhood. Tryn got a kick out of it. I'm not dressed up, unless you count the "I spent 4 hours in the ER the day before, and I'm exhausted from lack of blood and sleep" costume. Then I've got that covered. Matt's dressed up as Sam Fisher from one of his games. I can't remember which one. . . .

Tryn did awesome, she'd go up by herself, usually get distracted by the pumpkins, then bang on the door. Everyone thought she was adorable, because well, she was! :)

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe how big she is getting! Way cute costume. and I love the gingerbread houses, we are getting ready to make one later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should make a house this year...

    ReplyDelete