Sunday, March 29, 2009

I did it!

quick update: Indy is doing great. The staples came out on tuesday, and the Vet said it looked like she healed perfectly. It's nice to be able to play rough with her again (which she LOVES) and take her on walks. We're so happy!

This is my first attempt at canning. I found this recipe for crockpot apple butter, and I thought to myself. Hmmm, I have a whole slew of apples from my co-op box that I need to use, this would be great!


So I did it, I made crockpot apple butter, and I canned it (steam canned) and everything sealed. Well, after I sent them through a second time. I wasn't aware I had to put the rings on them while they steamed, since the cans in my mom's storage don't have rings on them. Oops. Either way it worked, and it gave me hope for my garden this summer!

Yup, I'm trying a garden again. Last year didn't go too well. . .I kind of forgot to water it like I should have, and Indy ate all my strawberries. I have more ambitous goals this year, because it's VERY important to me to have a large amount of food in storage. . .just in case.

I planted my peas already, and then it snowed. Luckily, they should be ok. I hope. I'll keep you updated.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Indy is doing better! And well done on the canning - I've always wanted to do that, but never have. We get fresh produce at the farmer's market year-round down here, so there's not much reason to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad about poor Indy, that she is doing better and all. That apple butter looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly is apple butter??

    ReplyDelete