Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Food Co-Op

I mentioned a few weeks ago about the local food co-op I was joining. Well, on Saturday I picked up my order! I'm very pleased with what I received and how quick and easy it was. What I like the best is how I'm supporting the local Utah farms. Everything I got (except for maybe the rice and perhaps the kiwi) was made or grown here locally in Utah.

Here's a picture of what came in the harvest share, which was $14. I haven't yet priced it out at the grocery store, to see if I'm saving money or not. I'm betting it'll be pretty close to the same at the store, if not a tiny bit higher.

1 5lb bag of red potatoes
6 oranges
6 apples
2 bunches green onions (I gave one to my mom)
1 bunch red leaf lettuce
4 artichokes
1 carton mushooms
1 bunch asparagus
8 kiwi
1 loaf wheat bread
1 lb rice

This is what I received in the Standard Share ($23). Basically it's the same, but with meat included.

1 pkg chicken breasts (2lbs I think)
1 1lb pkg beef stew meat
1 1lb pkg pork spare ribs
1 1 lb pkg lean ground beef
1 5lb bag red potatoes
6 oranges
6 apples
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch red leaf lettuce
3 artichokes
1 pkg mushrooms
8 kiwi
1 loaf wheat bread
1 lb rice

It was really easy to do. I went to the pick up site closest to me, gave them my name, went down an assembly line and loaded everything I got into my bags! (I filled 5 grocery bags--lots of people had boxes, and I learned that 1 person can't quite carry it all themselves. Next time Matt's coming with me)

now that I've had my first experience, I'm anxious for next month! and I have TONS of fresh produce, we'll be eating salads for weeks to come!

4 comments:

  1. Shoot, I don't know about in Utah, but here in Baton Rouge the artichokes alone would have cost almost $14! I would definitely call that a good deal. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. I have to check out the co-op. I'm very interested in that...

    (Do you want to be added to the list of Utah Food Bloggers? E-mail me at cafejohnsonia@yahoo.com if you do. Thanks!)

    I'll be back again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I want artichokes in my box! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to comment when you first wrote this... let's see if it works THIS time... I said before that the food looks great and that's awesome that you found such a great deal!

    ReplyDelete