Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Utah Food Co-op

A few months ago, I was watching the news, like I'm prone to do, and saw a segment on the Urban Crossroads Food Co-op here in Utah. and I thought to myself, "wow, that's something I need to get on!"

And the months passed as I didn't do anything about it. I've heard about the Angel Food Minestries, through my cousin's blog (and ok, she's really matt's cousin, but hey, I talk to her more than he does!!) but unfortunately the closest one is in Montezuma Utah. That's not ANYWHERE near me. Maybe someday I'll get one started here. Maybe I'll get myself organized before I do something like that. . . .

Basicly both these organizations are community run groups that order food at a bulk discount (because of the people who ordered the food) and distribute it. They're non-profit, and ask for your vollunteer time to help them OR to help the community. Just to give back basicly. And their prices are low too.

Urban Crossroads describes themselves: "We are a volunteer-powered, nonprofit food buying network, bringing people together for food, community & savings of up to 50% on high-quality fresh foods"

Angel Food describes themselves: "a non-profit, non-denominational organization dedicated to providing food relief and contributing to benevolent outreaches in communities throughout the United States."

See? They're a bunch of good organizations.

This month I decided to give Urban Crossroads a try. This month (Feb) their menu is as follows:

I know it's not very easy to read. Click on the above link to see it on their webpage. Basically, for $23 you can get 5 lbs of different meats, 3 kinds of fruit, 5 kinds of vegetables, 16 oz rice, and a loaf of bread.

I just mailed my letter today, and I'm going to start finding some recipes that will use the foods provided in their box. So after the pick-up on Feb 21st, go check out my Recipe Blog for the recipes you can use with this stuff. And I'd love to hear what other community co-ops you have in your area and love!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info! I've been looking into this myself and think I'll join!

    ReplyDelete