Friday, December 05, 2008

Cake Decorating

Last month I took a cake decorating class. I made and decorated three cakes, and learned a lot. I got most of the techniques down, but the rose. Good grief is that hard!!

anyway, here's my first cake. I love how it turned out, I was very happy with myself.

and I liked the second cake even more! I more of less just took the things we learned and put them all over my cake in no sort of pattern. As you can tell we learned how to make some flowers.

oh yeah, and the shell boarder. that one's pretty neat.



my pretty flowers around the edge.



this one actually had some sort of pattern to it, I was just kind of going flower crazy I think!! That's ok, the kids liked them!

and this was one of the flowers I kind of made up. I really liked how it turned out! I may have to do something like this for Katryn's birthday next month.

Next month?!? my baby can't be turning one already!!!


and this was the last cake. I did not like it. I couldn't get that darn rose figured out, but I still put it on the cake anyway. the other flowers are sweet peas. . . I think.

anyway, I like the way those turned out! Except for the bright yellow with the blue leaves. at least I used up the frosting I had. I really didn't want to make a new batch of frosting.

see those darn crinkly roses? Ug, they're annoyingly frustrating.


But I love the bows! those were fun, and fairly easy as well.

Anyway, this is what I learned in class one. It was way cool, and I'm excited to experiment on my own, now that I have a base to build up from!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! I think it's so much fun! Good luck on Katryn's 1st birthday cake! I can't believe she's already a year old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I've always wanted to take a cake decorating class! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a cake decorating class last summer. I had a lot of fun with it too. It has been fun to take what I learned and make some fun cakes. There are a lot of great ideas online. Make sure to post your cake for your daughter so we can see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya my Dad decorated cakes on the side, and he would always try and show me how to make the roses...still to this day I can't make them!! Guess I didn't get that gene! The cakes look fabulous! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Job, those roses arnt bad either (you should see my attempt back in my cake decorating days I had to stick with rose buds)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm impressed. We'll order our next birthday cakes from you. :) As for Katryn's b-day, I recommend cupcakes. Then she can play/eat one herself. And you could do all kinds of decorating with those!

    ReplyDelete