Saturday, December 27, 2008

The 12 days of Christmas

Growing up, my family had a tradition of doing the 12 days of Christmas to a family in the neighborhood. We loved it! it was something we all enjoyed. The secrecy, the anticipation of being caught at the front door. It was fantastic, and taught us how important it is to serve others, and we don't need the recognition from it!

We decided to start that tradition in our family, and this year we picked a family with 4 little kids. The only had part is all the street lights the city has installed all over. Its not dark like it used to be when I was a kid!! If you looked out your window, you could easily see anyone walking down the street in the middle of the night. Kind of makes it hard to be secretive.

But we managed. We didn't get caught! We also didn't ring the doorbell half the time, since the family spent a lot of time in the front room.

Day one

For day one, we gave them the Christmas Star of Service. Basically you do secret service for someone in the family, and them leave the star for them. Then they do secret service for someone else and leave the star.

I think it's something important to teach kids, and we have our own too!
Day two

Homemade fudge! My first time making fudge, and I was quite, quite, impressed. I'll post about it later on my recipe blog.
Day Three

A little foam nativity kit that they could build with the kids.

Day Four

A reindeer craft you make out of popsicle sticks, googly eyes, red poofs, and brown pipecleaners. Super easy, even for kids! they look good on the tree as well.

Day Five

Christmas bingo!! I printed the cards off of this webpage, and gave them marshmallows for markers. THose are the best kinds of markers I think.

Day Six

Luminaries to set outside on CHristmas eve. This was also something my family has always done. YOu fill the bag with sand, and line your sidewalks and walkways with them. Then you light the tealights inside. It looks really pretty.

Too bad we got hit with a massive snowstorm and there was no place to put on luminaries this year.

Day Seven

A box of candy canes and a cut little story about how the candy cane came to be.

Day Eight

Reindeer dust!! I had never heard of this, until I read the book The 12 Days of Christmas. It was great! and gave me such good ideas too! Basicly it's oatmeal mixed with glitter that you sprinkle outside. There's a little poem about how the oatmeal helps the reindeer be strong, and the glitter helps them fly fast.

I used glitter, and then realized it would have been so much easier to use the colored sugar!! Next year. . .

Day Nine

Some cookies and a little story to read.

Day Ten

Popcorn balls! Also my first time making them. Lots of fun, really easy, and I'll post about it as well on my recipe blog.

Day Eleven

Stamped candles and a story. I stamped the candles myself, and it was really easy! They look so nice too, if I can say so.

Day twelve, I can't find my picture for. What I did was take an empty, unused paintcan (that you buy at the craft store) and mod podged paper around it. Then I had some cute 3D felt stickers that said "Let it snow!" that I placed on there. I called it their Christmas Can, and filled it was hot chocolate mix, cidar mix, popcorn, candy canes, and a cookie mix.

I loved doing the 12 days, it's such a good way to help feel the true spirit of Christmas in our house. We're usually pretty busy since Matt works retail, he's gone a lot, and gets to see the ugly side of people when they can't get what they want (a wii).

We'll be doing this every year, and I hope you do too!!

2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea, Krystal! A super tradition to do, I think.

    From David, Nancy & Patrick's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the twelve days of Christmas start on the 25th right?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Days_of_Christmas

    ReplyDelete