Friday, May 30, 2008

Recipe Exchange

I have a new task. I'm now in charge of the Relief Society's recipes swap/exchange group. Yay! I'm actually very excited for this project. It's not quite a calling, at least I don't think so. . .

A few months ago, I mentioned to my Relief Society president that I thought it would be fun to get together a recipe group, much like the book group. She said she liked that idea, but then I never heard anything else from her. Until last night. She called me, and asked if I would be in charge of it, and I said 'yes' because it was my idea after all. So it's going to be starting in the next month or so!

Here's how we're going to do it (I think). We're going to meet once or twice a month, I haven't figured that out yet. After I talk to the RS president, I'll know more. But if we meet once a month, it's going to be during the day, at my house. If we meet twice a month, one will be during the day at my house, the other will be in the evening, maybe at the church, or someone else's house. The reason I don't want it at my house is because Katryn has such a delicate bedtime. The window is very small to be able to put her to bed without screaming for a while, and if we miss that window, it'll take her a while to go to bed. I don't want to mess with that!

the first time we'll meet, we'll all pick something to cook: like breakfast, or pasta, or drinks. something like that, and we'll put it in a hat. Then we'll draw for each month so we can know ahead of time what the category will be!

If per chance someone can't come, but still wants to participate, they can email me their recipe and I'll gather the recipes for them, and exchange theirs. Then at the end of the year, I'll compile all the recipes and everyone can have them! This way, I can incorporate all the ladies in my ward, and people won't feel left out.

I'm also thinking that if everyone brought a small sample of their recipe for us to try, that would be fun. Then we can decide right there if we would want a copy of the recipe or not (and we don't have to worry about lunch for the day!)

I was also thinking about depending on the theme of doing some health research about it. Then I can give a little blurb about why it's important for us to eat this type of food. . .or something like that. And as we're trying everything we can go through and talk about how we made the recipe, what we liked about that recipe or whatnot.

anyway, I'm really excited for this! it will give me the chance to get to know the ladies in my ward better, I've been here for a year and 1/2 and i still feel like I don't know most of the people! Food just brings everyone together.

2 comments:

  1. that sounds like a great idea! Once you figure it all out you'll have to tell us how it goes, and maybe I'll steal it to try in our ward too! After all, you can never have too many recipes, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save the good recipes, I'll probably trie to steal them from you. I think the "club" sounds fun. I especially liked the idea of bringing samples to try, how Yummy!

    ReplyDelete