Thursday, February 28, 2008

Crunchy Ranch Chicken

With our new meal rotation, I have a list of 50 meals. some of them are meals we eat all the time, some are just easy meals we can throw together on those nights we just don't want to spend a lot of time cooking. We're still going to plan for 2 weeks at a time, we're just going to draw numbers 1-50 out of a cup and those will be our meals for the next few weeks. Then I'll go shopping for the ingredients for those meals when we get paid. Similar to what we've been doing, only a wider variety of meals! and if we don't like them, we'll scrap them and pick another one.

Tonight we tried Crunchy Ranch Chicken. and in an effort to be like the Pioneer Woman, I took pictures as I cooked. I LOVE pictures when I'm looking for recipes to try. My idea of a good cookbook is a picture on every single page, with every single recipe. That's actually how I buy my cook books, is first by theme (y'know, like a pasta cookbook, or chicken) and then by how many pictures there are inside.

so here goes.
This recipe was very simple and only took me about 1/2 hour from start to eating. I like recipes like that. It was something that Matt can cook up even! *smiles* yeah right.

I started out with a bowl full of cornflakes, and then crushed the heck out of them with a glass cup. it was harder than I thought. Next time I think I'll put them in a ziplock bag and use my rolling pin. I thought about doing that this time, but I usually end up getting crumbs all over because the sharp pieces poke through the bag.
I got my cup of cornflakes and had left over (because I didn't crush enough the first time. . .) so I put them in a ziplock baggie and we'll use them for the next time we make this recipe. Which we will.
Then I added a good dash of italian seasoning. Enough to empty my bottle!! But that's ok because I had bought another bottle to refill this one. I used italian dressing because the recipe called for fresh parsley. . .and well, I just don't have fresh herbs on hand. it's be cool if I did though. I also added some garlic salt and some pepper. And just stir all these good thing together!
then you put some ranch in a bowl, with a little bit of water to make it more runny.
Take your chicken--I used two chicken breasts, the recipe called for 1 lb of chicken breast, but I don't have a kitchen scale! I don't even have a bathroom scale! so i pulled my last two chicken breasts out of the freezer this morning. . .ok, I pulled them out this afternoon.
I chopped the chicken into bite-size pieces. The recipe said to cut into thin long strips, but I like this way better.
dump all that chicken into the ranch mixture and stir it all up. I had a hard time not licking my fingers when they got ranch on them. Coat the chicken pieces in the corn flake mixture and place on a greased pan.
Those look good even before they're cooked!! yummy. . .

Crunchy Ranch Chicken

1 cup cornflake crumbs
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup ranch dressing
1 teaspoon water
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips

--Combine cornflake crumbs and parsley.
Combine dressing and water in another bowl.
Dip chicken into dressing mixture. Cover with cornflake mixture. Place on lightly sprayed non stick pan. Bake 8 minutes or until tender in a 425 degree oven.

Like i mentioned above, I used italian seasoning instead of parsley, and cut the chicken into bitesized pieces. We also cooked it for about 10 minutes, and cut a larger piece in 1/2 to make sure it was cooked all the way through. the two chicken breasts weren't quite enough, but it was perfect for the ranch and corn flake mixture. Hardly any left over!

We'll cook this again. most definitely.

1 comment:

  1. Who thinks of these things? I am trying to imagine the mind that says, "I know, let's take this chicken, cut it up, soak it in ranch dressing and then roll it in cornflake crumbs." It looks really good--but I am just amazed at the gastronomic creativity!

    ReplyDelete