Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Introducing. . .

Katryn Llewellyn!!

She was born on Friday the 18th at 6:01:18am (matt has an atomic watch, so he got it down to the second!) She came in weighing 6lbs, 8oz, and was 19in long. Not too bad for being 3 weeks early!!

Here's the story: On thursday night, I joked with Matt, "what if I went into labor tonight and our carseat hasn't come yet?" (ordered it online) and matt told me that I shouldn't joke like that. Well, at 1am I woke up in a flood. I told matt "Either my water just broke, or I wet the bed" he responded, "I hope it's the second!" It sure wasn't though! My water had broken, and I hadn't had a single contraction. I decided to climb in the shower because, well, I was leaking! I wasn't sure what else to do. while I was in the shower, the contractions started, about 5 minutes apart, and not very bad. I worked on my breathing and relaxation technique's that I learned in my hypnobirthing class.

It worked for a little while. I told matt right off that I wanted to stay home until at least 5-6am because I was expecting a 24hour labor. After all, this is my first baby, and most first births are rather long. Both my sisters firsts were about that long. I just didn't want to sit at the hospital with things strapped to my belly, trying to relax.

Matt called my midwife, who told us to go to the hospital when we felt ready, but we should really only stay home for about 6 hours. I knew that once my waters broke, within 24 hours, they usually want the baby there, because of the risk of infection. Made sense to me. After about 2 hours, my surges started to get stronger, and about 3 minutes apart. So I decided to take another shower, so the hot water would relax my belly. I didn't want to get too stressed, because then everything would tense up, and that's what causes the pain.

Although with all my trying, I was in tears every time I had a surge. But once they went away, I would be ok, and I would tell myself that I could do this! After all, it's what my body was made to do, and that's what I've been working for. Finally, at about 4am, we went to the hospital. wow, that was a rough drive. The hospital isn't too far away from our house, it only took about 5 minutes to get there, but I had about 3 surges on the way. Surges in a car are NOT fun, just so everyone is aware.

We checked in right about 4am, and asked for the natural birthing room. Timpanogos Hospital only has one natural birthing room (meaning a tub) and I wanted that. Although I don't know if they would have let me use it because of my waters being broken and that whole risk of infection thing. As it turned out though, I wouldn't have had the time anyway. But it turned out not to matter, because the floors in that room had just been waxed and they couldn't use that room.

They checked me in and took me to a room, and checked me out. I was already 7cm!! I couldn't believe it! I hadn't had any exams as of yet, because I opted not to. See, I was expecting to come a week late, and I didn't want to get my hopes up. who wants to sit for a few weeks, thinking "I'm x cms, this baby could come soon!" I sure didn't.

I requested some pain relief. They gave me an IV with something to help take the edge off--but it only lasts for about an hour!! I didn't care, I just wanted something to help a little bit. And it did! it wasn't much, but it was enough to help me focus on breathing and relaxing my body. They also had to give me some oxygen, because I was kind of hyperventilating. I could feel my arms and legs going numb, it was creepy.

probably 30mins to an hour after checking in, (I wasn't very focused on the time, I was very out of it by that point) I knew this baby was coming. They checked me again and I was ready, and this girl was coming!!! About an hour later, she was here! I couldn't believe it, after all the preparation, she was finally here.

that's our story. Our Katryn is here, and perfect.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! =) I heard you even got to make it to the shower, although a little bit late. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you both! Welcome to the world Katryn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm glad all went well! She was pretty big for being early :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Sorry, I know you probably don't know me, but I found your blog just searching through all my friends, Friends lists.....anyway, I'm a friend of Glenns, and a friend of the McRae family.

    I was glad to hear that you had your baby the way you wanted to, I was able to do that with my 2nd...and it was so much better for me in the long run than with my first, which I had an epidural....

    Anyway, congrats again! And I love her name! So original!

    ~Sissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations you guys! From David, Nancy's and Patrick's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats congrats congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so, congrats on having your baby one hour and one minute before I had mine (9am EST)! It's funny that we were due on the same day and had our babies exactly the same time 3 weeks early!! I'm glad everything went how you wanted it to--mine was fine, but I had LOTS of drugs- 3 different shots into the IV in the night (I started being induced around 8 pm) and then 2 epidurals (the first one didn't work, but the second was amazing)... anyway congrats, and I hope your daughter sleeps as well as mine does!!!

    ReplyDelete