Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My apparently controversial plan

Before I became pregnant, I had always said "drug me up, I don't want to feel a thing, give me all the drugs!". But now that I actually am pregnant, and getting closer to having this baby, I've come to drastically change my mind, and it's a little controversial I found.

I'm not trying to turn this into anything like that, and please if you comment, don't tell me your horror birth stories, I don't want to hear them. thank you! :)

Now, like I said, after I became pregnant, I started doing a LOT of research on babies, labor, delivery, everything I could get my hands on! and I learned a lot. and I came to the decision that I don't want the drugs, I don't want to have to lay in a bed, unable to feel anything from the waist down, and try to push a baby out (and up, gravity doesn't really help when you're flat on your back) and not be able to tell what's going on for myself.

I have decided on a natural childbirth. No, I'm not opposed to medical intervention. No, I am not having my baby at home, I will have her in the hospital. But I want to be the one in control. I'm the one that knows my body the best, and I know that my body can have a natural birth and doesn't need to be hindered by drugs. I actually read in a book, something that just made some much sense to me.

"The premise that birthing, by nature, had to be a painful ordeal was totally unacceptable to me. I could not believe that a God who had created the body with such perfection could have designed a system of procreation that was flawed. . .Even more importantly, I could not believe that a loving God would commit so cruel a hoax as to make us sexual beings so that we would come together in love to conceive and then make the means through which we would birth our children so excruciatingly painful." Mongan, Marie, M.Ed, M.Hy. Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method. Deerfield Beach, Florida: Health Communications, Inc, 1992.

Sorry if my citation is incorrect, it's been a while since I've done anything scholarly. But the concept makes sense to me. Animals don't have any problem giving birth, they know they're body and know what to do instinctively. I can't see any reason why I can't do the same thing.

I'm taking a hypnobirthing class, to help teach me how to relax during birth, so my body isn't fighting itself: 1/2 of the uterus trying to keep the baby in like it's been doing the past 9 months, and the other 1/2 trying to push the baby out--no wonder people have pain! The class more or less teaches a person how to relax their body and mind, putting themselves into a deep, deep relaxed state. and when the body is relaxed, things process so much more smoothly.

I've thought about it, spent alot of time thinking about it actually. and this is something that will work for me. I understand that it might not be completely pain free, I understand that if something goes wrong, I might have to have medical intervention, and I accept that. but I'm not telling myself that. I'm mentioning it here so people won't say "don't say never!". I am telling myself that I will have a painfree birth, that my birth won't need medical intervention, and that I will enjoy my birth.

a lot of people think I'm crazy, and I'm ok with that. some people think it's a great idea. This is the birth I want and the one that will work best for me. I may be crazy, but after all, this is what living like this does.

6 comments:

  1. If I could do it over again (and I'm sure I will one day) I want to take a HypnoBabies class as well.

    I tried to go natural. But in the end I ended up with a spinal block.

    In retrospect it really wasn't too bad...just a little scary.

    Go Krystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're body can withstand a lot of pain actually. I had Hannah pretty much drug free. The hardest part (I tell you this just for knowledge) is now knowing how long that will last. That's the hardest for me anyway. AJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with that! With Karen it was an ordeal (which for your sake I won't go into here...I've been having my own nightly nightmares about it). I basically had an epidural that didn't work, among other things. I survived, obviously, but I'm planning on trying it again this time around and hopefully it will work better. If not, maybe next time we'll try the hypno baby thing. It does sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, Crystal, this is MArquita...I couldn't help but comment on this post! I really support you in you decision. I mean, millions of women all around the world throughout history had their children with no help of anesthetics. I don't think that our generation is less capable...but I think that we, with our medical technology, have become dependent on that.

    I wish the best with your birth--hypnobirthing sounds very interesting! Also, if for some reason you do need a some medication or a C-section or something, don't feel bad about that. The most important thing is to have the baby and you safe!

    Again, Good luck! You can do it! and Congrats on being pregnant!

    I have a blog at www.dowlerseoul.wordpress.com (we are in Korea)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randomly found you.. Love your blog! Congratulations on being able to stay home! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. found this randomly googling "hypnobabies" after reading a news story about it. had to comment on the God comment as I am a stickler on that. In Genesis, after the fall, it is stated that pain in childbirth is a result of the fall. Doesn't mean you can't reduce it, just that it is there. Before the fall, there was no pain, but now there is.

    ReplyDelete