Thursday, October 25, 2007

sick day

I don't like being sick. I never have been. Well, not true. Sometimes I think it's fun to lose my voice, but for me that usually happens after the feeling sick part. An after effect of the sickness. I've been sick since yesterday. well, I've been feeling it coming for about a week now. Y'know that feeling, when you wake up in the morning and it's hard to breathe, your throat hurts, all that jazz. Yesterday was the day it really hit though. Which was lame because it was my day off.

At the same time though, I was glad it was my day off because I don't like calling in sick. I feel VERY guilty when I call in sick, it doesn't matter how sick I am, if I'm puking, or just miserable with cramps or something. I feel guilty, I feel like I let everyone at work down because I can't muster the energy/strength to suck it up and go into work.

My sister in law is pregnant and due the first part of december. During her first trimester, she was very sick, as was I. We were talking it about it, and talking about maternity leave and she mentioned how you can take your maternity leave anytime during your pregnancy as well. I didn't know that. She took a lot of time off at the beginning of her pregnancy because her husband was supposed to be deployed to Iraq so she wanted to spend some time with him and the family. Or at least that's what she told her employer (she's a nurse). So she took time off, and was really sick being pregnant. I'm digressing though.

When we were talking about calling in sick, and I said that I haven't really called in sick while I've been pregnant because I feel guilty calling in, she said "Oh, you're one of those 'good' employees". Like it's a bad thing to be a good employee. Like I should call in 'sick' every once in a while just to stay home, or have an extra day off.

I don't do that! I never have! Even when I hate my job (which I don't currently) I don't do that. It's rather dishonest to me, and I don't like feeling I let someone down. My conscience won't let me do that. Which is a good thing.

Anyway, I'm home sick today. I called in to work, and I feel guilty that I'm sick. It will be nice when I'm no longer working, and then when I'm sick, I don't have to feel guilty about not showing up somewhere. But this is what living like this does.

2 comments:

  1. Soon when you're sick you can't call in sick...and have to suck it up and go to work anyway.

    My friend Crystal just had appendicitis only she didn't know it. She felt so crummy--she put her baby in her crib and then went to bed, telling her toddler that he had to "sit on the bed with mommy until daddy comes home."

    She said she felt like a bad mom. I was like, "Uh, no. You were sick to dying...that's not being a bad mom."

    There's just no time off from motherhood--but it's so much fun...I don't think there needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. =( Don't feel guilty calling in sick...you'll do a better job once you're healthy, and you won't get any of your coworkers sick. I'm sure they'd rather cover for you for a few days than catch your virus. ;) I hope you get well soon! =)

    ReplyDelete