Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's not unusual. . .

Something from my punk covers album. . .I don't know what it's called

I'm going to do something I don't usually do, I'm going to comment on something going on in the world right now. The shootings at Virginia Tech. I'll tell you the reason I don't usually do things like this, because i don't like debating, I don't like confrontation, and I don't like people telling me my point of view is inaccurate.

I'm not going to say alot on the subject, because I only know the basics of what happened. But I'm going to disagree with what a lot of people are saying about the situation. That this man's writing style is what made him do this. This makes me furious, absolutely furious. I am a writer, and I took a lot of writing classes, and I've used a lot of different writing styles. He wrote dark things, he wrote depressing things. So what. I did too, and I'm not going to shoot a classroom full of people, or a store on a major holiday.

If anyone who wrote dark items were kicked out of their classes, kicked out of school, we would not be as far advanced in literary writings as we are right now. No one has any right to tell writers that what they're writing is wrong. NO ONE.

My point is that it is not unusual for writers to write dark things. Not at all, and I've read similar stories in my creative writing classes as the ones he wrote. I'm not trying to defend the things he did at Virginia Tech, I'm trying to make the point that a style of writing isn't enough to be the reason he shot so many people. It's everything that is involved with him, he personality, his lack of friends, his family growing up, perhaps an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Thousands and thousands of things go into the reasons, if there are reasons, why this happened.

My worry is if I write something dark ever again, or anyone writes anything dark in their classes, the paranoia of people are going to cut down a writer in their prime. It will be society's loss and they won't even know it. But this is what living like this does.

1 comment:

  1. It's kind of funny... Anna Karenina is dark and morbid. Yet... it's Time's best book of all time.

    ReplyDelete